Friday, June 26, 2015

Maybe God is in the details.

I am resigned to certain realities. Not those ones - Raila and Ouru and all that; those ones can always get worse. I mean those realities that are as immutable as blue skies and sandy beaches. I am resigned to the reality that when it comes to the dedication required to name some outfit M/s Things of Desire and wangle a multi-million shilling payout through the IFMIS that seems to fascinate the Public Accounts Committee, I am unlikely to use the hashtag #Blessed on my Twitter feed or in accompaniment to my toothy I-made-it smile on Instagram.

I am also resigned to the fact that come Lupita Nyong'o's ten-thousand-shilling-a-plate "dinner" at the Vila Rosa Kempinski, I shall be negotiating with Mustafa Adams to obtain a high-def copy of Fury Road. Or something. I am resigned to the realities of an aging skeletal frame, a sclerotising circulatory system and an atrophying intellect. I am taking each of these realities in stoic style; they are, after all, not the be all and end all.

However, there are some realities that came out of Left Field, a reference my cousins from New Jersey will appreciate. How they came about is none of your business; what matters is that they are realities now, and by the grace of God will remain so for the foreseeable and unforeseeable future. How can we fail to acknowledge the Hand of God when things take the turn that they have? My laissez faire approach to my faith notwithstanding, I am conscious of my many, many limitations, and it is plain to see that for some reason they have not been a great handicap. If that is not God masquerading as providence, then I do not have an explanation. And no, Occam's Razor, most certainly does not apply here.

The only other reasonable explanation is that God is manifest in Her, Rei and George, the Prof and the Doc, Nan, my epic boss and Leo and Maureen. I mean, aren't they the reason I am what I am at this very moment? Their advice, support, criticism, honesty and merciless mocking (that would be Her) have inspired some of my zaniest ideas that didn't immolate me in my bed or something. So, for the non-deists reading this, perhaps God is in the details and my details are Her, Rei and George, the Prof and the Doc, Nan, my epic boss and Leo and Maureen.

No comments:

Some bosses lead, some bosses blame

Bosses make great CX a central part of strategy and mission. Bosses set standards at the top of organizations. Bosses recruit, train, and de...