Wednesday, August 08, 2012

My Land is Kenya...

There seems to be a large number of immigrants in New South Wales. There seems to be scores of Asians (Chinese, Vietnamese, South Koreans, Indians, etc.) walking the streets of Sydney. I find this reassuring. Despite what seems to be a national movement to restrict immigration to Australia, foreign-born persons don't seem to be as ostracised as the news reports seem to imply. This also seems to be why the student population is vibrant and animated.

We stood on the Sydney Harbour promenade and witnessed the melting pot of different languages, skin colours and cultures in full bloom, everyone click-clacking away on their iPads, iPhones and digital cameras. If there is one thing that seems to unite everyone in Sydney, it is that they seem to be owners and users of iPhones, iPads and MacBooks - Apple is well-represented on the streets of Sydney and the hallowed halls of University of Sydney.

I visited an Apple Store and it was all that I had imagined it was - vast, airy, well-lit and infused with the feeling of techno-efficiency. I felt like such a snob that I could wander about between rows and rows of iPads and iPhones knowing that there was no watchie who would be eying me with suspicion or an officious seller who would be pushing me out to make way for the "preferred" customers (if you are Kenyan, you know what I mean).

So! I love the school. I love the Harbour. I love the streets. I love the hotel. I love the experience. Yet! I want to go home. I miss the noise and chaos. I miss my colleagues and family. I miss the No 58 Mike Sonko-owned ma-three. I miss the Haile Selassie Nakumatt and its rude watchies. I miss the APs outside our office gate. I miss the constant barrage of anti-Raila and pro-Raila rhetoric. I miss the shady 'preachers' who accost me on my morning commute to work. Lord help me, but do I miss Kenya!

No comments:

Some bosses lead, some bosses blame

Bosses make great CX a central part of strategy and mission. Bosses set standards at the top of organizations. Bosses recruit, train, and de...